Why we LOVE Polyvine
Chic Mouldings searched far & wide for the perfect finish craft and furniture up-cycle projects. THere are so many out there, and quality and price varies, but I think Polyvine is one of the best sealers for Chalk Paint out there!
Chic Mouldings first let this secret Polyvine weapon out in our eBook, now it seems the Shabby Chic world has gone mad for it, but there’s still some confusion over which ones to use. The 2 featured are the ones I have personally used.
A few of our tips and observations about Polyvine:
- It goes on like silk, dries quickly, smoothly, and no need to buff.
- Just apply with a paintbrush or small roller when the paint on your project is thoroughly dry. And the best part, your brushes will just wash out in water!
- Only 1 thin coat is needed, however, if it is going to be in a high traffic area, I would apply 2 coats of Polyvine allowing each coat to dry thoroughly.
- If you are using a chalk paint, I would go for the Dead Flat Matt finish, It works perfectly with the chalk paint & will leave you with a surface that is, as it says, dead flat matt!
- If you would prefer a bit of a sheen, you can opt for the Satin finish. This gives a very gentle, subtle sheen, as if you had spent a few hours buffing your project!
Here’s some other uses for Polyvine as suggested by Chic Mouldings’ Facebook Group members:
- When experiencing bleedthrough, a coat of polyvine will seal the stain, apply your paint over the top once dry, and it will stop any more stains appearing!
- A great stain prevention. A member, who used polyvine on her projects, had water damage in their unit. When the water subsided & the furniture was assessed, there wasn’t any damage to her pieces! Polyvine had protected the paint & the furniture too!
- Great for sealing in decorative finishes. On furniture, but also on walls too!
- Perfect for sealing decoupage projects!
- You can use it to seal Plaster work.
- Use to seal wallpaper & fabrics.
Perfect for using with Chalk Paints
This varnish dries to a natural finish which gives no reflections and is tough enough for most situations. Ideal for the protection of floors and areas requiring a durable finish while retaining the original natural look. The fastest cure enabling the floor to be used within 16 hours. Can be used over our heavy duty floor varnish to combine heavy use with a shine free surface.
• Wooden floors • quarry tiles • cork tiles • slate • flag stones • wooden worktops • furniture • shelving.
Unique qualities :
• Heat and water resistant • dead flat shine free finish • durable • easy to apply • water wash up • water based • low odour • quick drying.
Drying time: 1-2 hours.
Re-coat time: 1-2 hours.
Coverage: 10-20 square metres per litre.
Protective Decorators Finish ~ Dries with a slight sheen.
For interior emulsion wallpaper fabric and plaster work. A revolutionary water based varnish for the protection of a wide range of decorative surfaces.
• Wallpaper • plaster • fabric • wood.
Unique qualities :
Water and stain resistant • durable • easy to apply • water wash up • water based • low odour • quick drying.
Drying time: 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on temperature.
Coverage: 15-20 square metres per litre.
Other Polyvine Products
I only use Polyvine paints to create my Antique Gold and Antique Silver finishes.
I highly recommend you have a good look through Polyvine’s website. They have a great range including waxes, paints, mediums and tools. No, this isn’t sponsored, they really are just good, and when I find a good product, I like to recommend it.
I hope you enjoyed this summary of Polyvine, and why I LOVE it! I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below!